Find a professional

If you’re looking for a professional to help solve a geotechnical problem it is important that you use appropriately qualified geotechnical professionals.  You’ll need either a Chartered Professional Engineer who specialises in geotechnical engineering, or a Professional Engineering Geologist.  Look for the qualifications CPEng (Geotechnical) or PEngGeol.  These are the quality marks administered by Engineering New Zealand, and the holders of these certifications are held to a high standard of professionalism and follow the Engineers New Zealand Code of Ethical Conduct, available here

Do I need a Geotechnical Engineer (CPEng Geotechnical) or Engineering Geologist (PEngGeol)?

Engineering Geology is the profession responsible for defining the geotechnical problem, and identifying and characterising the hazards and material properties. Geotechnical Engineers then take this information to design the appropriate solution. These two functions work together to ensure a safe design.  If you’re not sure which you need, ask a professional.

  • CPEng register here (search for ‘geotechnical’ in the Engineering Practice Field)
  • PEngGeol register here (search for ‘Chartered Member (Engineering PEngGeol)’ in the Membership Class Field)

Not everyone that works on your project needs to be registered, but you should insist that the person responsible for signing any formal documentation is on one of these two registers to protect your interests.

Leave a Reply