The New Zealand Geotechnical Society (NZGS) is the affiliated organization in New Zealand of the International Societies representing practitioners in Soil mechanics, Rock mechanics and Engineering geology.
NZGS is also affiliated to the Institution of Professional Engineers NZ as one of its collaborating technical societies.
The aims of the Society are:
- To advance the education and application of soil mechanics, rock mechanics and engineering geology among engineers and scientists
- To advance the practice and application of these disciplines in engineering
- To implement the statutes of the respective International Societies in so far as they are applicable in New Zealand
- To ensure that the learning achieved through the above objectives is passed on to the public as is appropriate
Full members of the NZGS must be affiliated to at least one of the following Societies:
- International Society for Rock Mechanics (ISRM)
- International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE)
- International Society for Engineering Geology and the Environment (IAEG)
Engineers, scientists, technicians, contractors, students and others who are interested in the practice and application of soil mechanics, rock mechanics and engineering geology can join NZGS.
To join, download the form, fill it up and follow the instructions by sending a hard copy to:
The Management Secretary, NZ Geotechnical Society Inc., IPENZ, PO Box 12-241, Wellington