Practical approaches to seismic design of deep foundations
This paper sets out a simplified approach by which the practical foundation designer can undertake the relevant calculations to satisfy the requirements for deep foundation design in seismic areas. The following matters are dealt with:
- Design issues that should be addressed;
- Pile design for axial loading, including the possible effects of liquefaction;
- Pile design for lateral loading where liquefaction does not occur;
- Pile design for lateral loading where liquefaction does occur;
- Measures to mitigate against liquefaction effects.