Please contact the management secretary if you would like to advertise a job on the NZGS website or newsletters. For website adverts please provide your copy as plain text with separate images. Our site resizes to suit the viewer so text is more effective than pdf.
Senior Engineering Geologist
Jacobs is a global provider of technical, professional and scientific services including engineering, architecture, construction, operations and project management. Our portfolio spans industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
We are inviting applications for the Wellington-based position of Senior Engineering Geologist. As a senior professional you will be provided with the opportunity to provide technical leadership, mentoring and advice for the ground engineering team, while servicing numerous clients within infrastructure, mining, gas, power and water utilities sectors.
Although the position is Wellington-based, there would be a requirement to provide support to the wider ANZ business.
To excel in this role the key success factors will include: communication skills that positively influence outcomes, effective technical leadership and project delivery, broad geotechnical competency as well as specialist expertise in specific area(s).
Qualifications and skills required for this role include:
- Bachelor of Science Geology tertiary qualification
- Ideally also a post graduate diploma or MSc degree in Engineering Geology, or similar.
- Preferably Chartered Geologist status
- Sound experience in various areas of geotechnical investigation, analysis and design. Experience should include tunnelling, slope risk assessment, industrial and infrastructure projects
- In the order of 10 years’ geotechnical consulting experience.
- Sound understanding of relevant geotechnical standards and design software within areas of expertise.
- A strong knowledge of the New Zealand market place, relevant industry and major clients
At Jacobs we value people. Having the right balance of diversity, career and lifestyle enables us to consistently deliver and exceed clients’ expectations.
Working alongside industry leaders, you will have the opportunity to develop your career working on key projects in an environment which encourages collaboration, knowledge sharing and innovation. To support your professional growth, Jacobs flexible working arrangements, extended leave options and a host of social, health and wellbeing events and initiatives will underpin our commitment to you. Rethinking how you work, our culture at Jacobs means it’s all about what you do, not where you are, which counts!
Please note: If you are being represented by a recruitment agency you will not be considered, to be considered you will need to apply directly to Jacobs.
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Engco is a rapidly growing engineering consultancy with over 30 staff in three office locations nationally: Christchurch, Auckland and Queenstown. Services include: Structural, Civil, Geotechnical and product innovation. With challenging residential and commercial projects ranging across boutique houses to multi storey complexes.
Engco have a passion for providing expert advice in technically challenging projects and we want liked minded individuals to deliver these projects and grow with the business.
This role involves:
- Working with clients and contractors finding innovative and pragmatic ways to achieve project outcomes;
- Design and management of often complex ground investigations including data analysis, modelling and interpretative report writing;
- Liaising with approving authorities and assisting clients with the consenting process;
- Co-ordinating project and technical delivery as required;
- Lead and organise site investigation and inspections including construction supervision and correct logging of soils;
- Experience in managing your own projects to time and budget, including overseeing small teams;
- Experience in Geotechnical design including earthworks, foundations, settlement calculations, retaining systems, liquefaction analysis, identifying and calculating soil parameters, slope stability assessment, identifying natural hazards, liquefaction assessment, design of piles and retaining structures.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in the areas listed above. Be able to demonstrate their communication skills and experience in effectively leading teams. It is a requirement that this is based on strong geotechnical experience (at least 6 years) and be CMEngNZ qualified. Supported by an interest to develop ongoing relationships, with Contractors and Consultants.
Come to work at a vibrant, energised and social workplace. A company that values client relationships, as well as internal workplace dynamics, with staff contributions in work and social matters. We will reward you with an attractive package and bonus.
We seek communicators who are focused, high performing individuals who will fit into our team environment, and are passionate about providing innovative and accurate engineering solutions for our clients.
Please apply by sending a CV and cover letter outlining your exceptional talents and abilities to:
HR Manager, Engco
Lecturer / Senior Lecturer/ Associate Professor - Geotechnical Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Auckland invites applications from outstanding candidates for a position in Geotechnical Engineering at the Lecturer / Senior Lecturer / Associate Professor level.
New Zealand has an interesting geotechnical environment - earthquakes and slope instability are significant hazards and soils of residual and volcanic origin are common. As these materials are different from the 'textbook' soils, significant challenges often confront the geotechnical profession. Consequently, opportunities exist for the candidate to develop further research linkages with the local geotechnical profession. As with other cities around the world, the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure are significant current issues for the City of Auckland. There are ongoing tunnelling activities beneath the city which will continue into the next decade or longer.
The candidate will be expected to develop a strong research programme, to teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the Civil and Environmental Engineering programmes and to participate in the administrative activities of the Department, the Faculty of Engineering and the University.
Who are we looking for?
The selected candidate must:
- hold a Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering
- have an excellent academic record as evidenced by a publication record appropriate to the appointment level sought
- demonstrate experience and expertise in specialised laboratory and/or innovative field-based research.
It is anticipated that the area of research and professional practice may involve geotechnical characterisation of problematic soils, slope engineering, rock and tunnel engineering, geotechnical earthquake engineering, and/or other emerging geotechnical specialties.
In addition, depending on the appointment level sought, some or all of the following will be important: success in attracting competitive grants; well-developed links with industry; experience in supervision of PhD students; and experience in providing quality education at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Work with us
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering has established an excellent reputation in the traditional fields of its discipline, enjoys active and wide-ranging industrial linkages, and has a very committed and supportive industrial advisory board. It is currently exhibiting strong growth in all phases of its activities, from student numbers to external research funding. The Department offers undergraduate programmes in Civil and Environmental Engineering and postgraduate programmes at the ME, MEngSt and PhD levels to almost 1,000 students annually.
The University of Auckland is a truly great place to work. Offering five weeks' annual leave, over 300 courses and workshops designed to support your professional development, and standout facilities for staff members who are also parents, it's easy to see why we've recently been voted one of New Zealand's most attractive employers.
Find out more about some of the great reasons to work for us on our Staff Benefits page.
*Randstad Awards 2017.
Applications close Sunday, 28 October 2018.
For further information and to apply online please visit www.auckland.ac.nz/opportunities
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students in a safe, inclusive and equitable environment. For further information on services for Maori, Pacific, women, LGBTI, equity groups, parenting support and flexible work go to www.equity.auckland.ac.nz
Direct enquiries only please - no agencies.
Manager – Geotechnics and Tunnels – Auckland
WSP Opus is a team of experts who aspire every day to transform infrastructure to create better, sustainable communities. We believe the greatest infrastructure starts with people and through our collaborative approach we're creating innovative solutions for future generations.
We have fantastic opportunity for an experienced manager to join our Westhaven office and lead our Auckland and Hamilton based Geotechnics and Tunnels team. This is a career defining role that will drive project performance, technical excellence and the team capability to successful outcomes.
- Empowerment, guidance and governance of the Team Leaders, Technical Principals and senior members within the group.
- Act as Project Manager/Director (or Principal as appropriate) on projects as appropriate, ensuring that all deliverables meet clients expressed and, as far as practicable, implied needs and expectations
- Manage the Work Group’s project financial performance to ensure business plan targets are achieved.
- Manage the pipeline to create a sustainable long-term business model.
- Provide an environment in which staff are given the opportunities and challenges required to stimulate their development and achieve their full potential.
- Effectively plan projects and assist project managers to correctly scope their projects with appropriate inputs, outputs, implementation activities, verification and technical review.
- Ensure staff achieve a high level of job satisfaction and the team meets and exceeds expectations.
You will have:
- A tertiary qualification in civil engineering.
- Registration as a Chartered Professional Engineer in New Zealand, or equivalent registration with a recognised overseas body.
- Current Driver Licence.
- 15+ years of professional experience as a civil engineering professional.
- A proven leader in Geotechnical Engineering and experience in managing large teams.
- Working knowledge of seismic design, New Zealand geology and practice.
And how about you? You'll be agile, invested in your career have the technical expertise and the commercial acuity to contribute to our business. In return, we'll offer you a career-defining role, interesting and meaningful projects working with world leading experts. At WSP Opus we foster a culture of collaboration, innovation and success. For further information, please view the position description and to apply on line, visit our website wsp-opuscareers.co.nz
Close Date: 25 November 2018